Thursday, June 4, 2009

My Wiki 3 - Names In English



niffiwan said...

Actually, in Toronto, Canada, I most often heard the "lead pencil" as the common term for such pencils, and I heard "mechanical pencil" pretty rarely.

This was as a student in middle school and high school, beginning roughly a decade ago, when such pencils became more popular.

kiwi-d said...

Thanks niffiwan

a nobud said...

Really, Dave? I hear "lead pencil" often too, in the US.

Kiwi-d said...

Like I say, it's just opinion and the US folk I asked initially had never heard the term lead pencil used for a mech pencil. A lead pencil is a wooden pencil. Getting comments was the point of the posting.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

"Lead pencil" is the term I grew up with for a mechanical pencil. No one would mistake this for a woodcase pencil. Of course, if you just said "pencil", people would assume a woodcase pencil unless you specified otherwise.

Nonetheless, there may be a generational change in the US. There may also be regional differences in the terms. Everybody would understand the term, "mechanical pencil", but I'm not sure about the term, "lead pencil" these days.

Bob S. [currently in Phoenix, AZ, US]